You’ve been searching for your ideal home for weeks, perhaps even months. And yet, you’re no closer to finding a home. You’re discouraged and feel like giving up. Perhaps now simply isn’t the right time to buy.
Don’t give up on your home search just yet. Before you embark on another tour of the many fantastic homes for sale in Dayton, OH and surrounding areas, take some time to evaluate why you’re not finding a home.
Doing so can help you put an end to your “bad luck” and help you find a beautiful house to call home.
3 Reasons Why Your Home Search is Giving You Zero Results
Evaluating the reasons you aren’t finding the right home can provide insights on changes you need to make to find a home that fits your needs. Here are the three most common reasons why a home search can be difficult.
1. Supply and Demand
How many people are searching for a home in Dayton, OH? How many houses are on the market? Supply and demand play a major role in whether you’ll be able to find a home or not.
Surprisingly, 2020 saw a surge in the real estate market and home prices. Sellers were able to make more money due to low inventory (supply) and low-interest rates (a plus for buyers).
According to The Washington Post, experts anticipate that 2021 will be another strong year for real estate. Many buyers put off purchasing homes in 2020 due to the pandemic. Some of them are now ready to buy, which can result in a seller’s market, making it more difficult for you to find a house.
2. Budgetary Restrictions and Must-Haves
Your budget dictates how much you can afford to spend on a home. Some homes will simply be out of your budget. The reasons for this vary from an expensive location to the size of the house and the affordability of the amenities on your must-haves list.
You’re not the only one searching for a home in Dayton, OH. You’re competing with other buyers, including people who wish to purchase investment properties.
5 Ways to Find Your Ideal Home
Knowing what’s standing in the way of finding a new home can help you determine what steps to take next.
For instance, if the competition is slowing your progress, can you do a home search near Dayton, OH instead of in Dayton? Looking at new homes for sale in Bellbrook or Centerville can allow you to find homes that:
- Are potentially more affordable
- Are in the top school districts
- Cross more items off your must-haves list
Besides conducting a home search in Sugarcreek Township, Washington Township, or other towns and cities near Dayton, the following steps can help you find your new home.
1. Get a New Real Estate Agent
Sometimes, the reason you haven’t purchased a home is because of your realtor. Watch for these warning signs. If you notice any of them, find someone new.
- They don’t have a lot of market knowledge
- They’re not good at negotiating
- They don’t understand home market values
- Your realtor isn’t familiar with Dayton and surrounding areas
- The realtor is an agent for both the buyer and the seller
2. Consider “For Sale by Owner” Homes
Buying a home directly from a seller may seem risky. The seller can attribute too much value to the home and inflate the cost. Disclosures can be shaky. And you might have a hard time getting repairs or other costs covered prior to sales closure.
However, there are some perks, too. One of them is communication. You get to talk directly with the owner of the home. The one-on-one contact can potentially give you more negotiating power.
The owner also knows more about the home and neighborhood than anyone else. Based on their input, you can determine whether you want to live in that home, another home in the same neighborhood, or somewhere else entirely.
3. Reach out to Friends, Family, and Other Contacts
Consult with friends, family, workmates, and acquaintances. They may know someone who is thinking of selling – or they may want to sell themselves. Having a relationship with a potential seller or with a mutual friend can put you at the top of their list when they’re ready to sell.
4. Reevaluate Your Budget and Must-Haves
If your budget is low and you have a lot of must-haves, you may need to rethink some things.
- Reevaluate your budget: Can you reasonably afford to increase your budget?
- Explore the neighborhood: You may love the idea of living in downtown Dayton, OH but realize that the homes for sale there don’t fit your budget. Do a home search near Dayton instead. House prices typically start to fall as you leave city limits.
- Review your must-haves: Differentiate between what you need and what you want. Is there anything you can live without? Can you add things to the home later (brand new appliances, flooring, etc.)? Move-in ready homes can be more expensive than those that need some work. Can you invest part of your budget in a renovation?
5. Weigh the Pros and Cons of Building Your Own Home
Have you thought of building your home? It might sound intimidating at first but when you use custom home builders, you can often get the home of your dreams at a lower cost. Building your own home is also a great way to secure your must-haves.
Build a Custom, High-Quality Home with Oberer Homes
Building a home is not a small undertaking. It requires time and expertise.
Hiring experienced home builders will prevent frustration. Top-quality builders – like those at Oberer Homes – will also help you save money by avoiding costly mistakes. They’ll also build your custom home within a reasonable timeframe.
When they are finished, you’ll have a move-in ready home that fits your needs and satisfies every item on your checklist.
Tired of searching for your dream home without success? We can help! Contact us today to find out more about our custom home plans.
Share this Post